Wait For Me by jpgphotography 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hi, I'm Julie and I currently I work as a full time graphic designer in northern San Diego. I grew up in many places due to my father’s military job, so I had the pleasure of living in Seattle, San Francisco, Virginia Beach, and an unbelievable 5 years in Japan as a teenager. But San Diego has always been my home town. I also have a Japanese bobtail cat that I adopted while in Japan, and he continues to be my photographic muse. (although usually unwillingly!)
What made you get into photography?

I have always been artistic, drawing and art being my main form of expression. When I was a child, when anyone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I immediately piped up ‘Artist!’ While photography always seemed fun, it wasn’t until 3 years ago that I got a taste of what photography was really like. My boyfriend would often bring his Canon DSLR on our outings, and told me that I could use the camera at any point to take some shots… well, needless to say, he could never get the camera back! He had to basically pry it from my snap happy fingers. After that, we were practically shooting every weekend. I was completely addicted. Every photographer always wants to evoke emotion and capture a moment in a photograph, but for me if goes deeper than that. To me, it seems like people often go about their daily life in a hazy state, unaware of all the beauty around them, many times in unexpected places. I'm guilty of that too. Photography has taught me to slow down, observe the world around me, and be patient. I suppose I’m trying in the best way I humbly and humanly can to show in my photos what God has intended us to see, and what is always there, if we just take the time to absorb our surroundings. At least that’s my goal every time I hit the shutter button.

Face Palm by jpgphotography

Where does your passion for your art come from?

I think as humans we all have this desire to create something beautiful, whether it be visual art, music, or literature. My mother has always been artistic, and we would often draw or color together. It was times like those that fueled my creativity when I was younger. Art class was always my favorite in school. As I got older, I found it was something I never lost interest in. I suppose it’s that fulfillment and excitement of the artistic journey you take when you are creating. With photography, I get a natural high from the whole process. I can be on a chilly beach cliff in the winter, tripod set up, the wind biting at my back, and shivering fingers hovering over the shutter button, waiting for the perfect moment… and I am having the time of my life. Plus, creating in general just feels good.

What made you decide to sell your photographs?

One night a few months ago as I was editing my images, probably listening to the Labyrinth soundtrack for the umpteenth time, in my total 'happy place' of sorting and editing images from my various photo excursions, and my mouse clicking feverishly with various Photoshop tinkering, I suddenly felt a strange pang that I couldn't explain. Here I was, doing what was my idea of a fun time, detached from the world for a few hours, and absorbed by warm glowing pixels. This is when my mind started to wander. What would people think of my images? Would anyone love or buy my images? Then the bigger question: Would anyone even ever see them? I create photographs because I relish the entire process, from picking the time of day to shoot, to hunting down a particular subject, to picking just the right lens and fiddling with the camera settings, to composing the shot, and finally, editing the image to tell a story. It is all very self-fulfilling, and just plain fun, and yet here I was, with that nagging pang that would not go away, and gigs of photos burning a hole in my hard drive, hidden from the world.

I decided that night that I wanted to share my love of photography with others and seek an avenue to not only display it, but sell it. To be honest, I was curious if anyone would invite my work into their home, and maybe selling some shots could help me afford some photography gear I had my heart set on. After much thought, I remembered a site called Etsy, where I had bought a vintage Brownie camera once. The thought that someone loves my work enough to buy it, and display it in their home or give as a gift… it’s just an unbelievably good feeling. I had made a brave and conscience decision to get my work out there into the universe, and I have no regrets. And just last week I set up a photo display in a new shop in my town, The Rustic Sparrow, where they are selling my prints now. It was very exciting. It's like a snow ball effect!


Second Star to the Right by jpgphotography
Which is your favorite photograph and why?

When I first read this, I thought ‘What a hard question!’ Then I realized I had the answer all along on my Etsy profile page:
‘I can't say my favorite photo is in this collection... because I'm fairly certain that photo is going to be taken tomorrow.’
It’s so true! As I evolve and grow, I like to think that the next great photo is just around the bend, almost within reach and waiting to be taken.
I can tell you one of my most memorable was ‘Face Palm’, a photo of a seal I shot in Kauai, Hawaii. I almost stumbled onto him as I was walking the secluded beach... I made sure I got a safe distance away, got my zoom lens out, laid down on my stomach, with my chin in the sand, and snapped away. Every time I see that shot I smile.


What memorable responses have you had to your work?

One that comes to mind was a feedback on Etsy that stated ‘Thank You for taking such a beautiful photograph and offering it up for sale. Having this image to look at every day will inspire me to create beautiful work...’ I can’t tell you how great that made me feel, that I could be inspiring to a fellow artist… no words can describe how awesome that is.


What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

I would tell them to not get discouraged. Sales do not always happen overnight. Love what you do, believe in you work, and believe in yourself. My boyfriend once told me: There is only success and success waiting to happen. I’ve always remembered that.

What is the biggest mistake you have ever made (business or personal)?

I would say doubting myself and my abilities as an artist. An artist can be their own worst enemy, and see flaw in anything they do. I try my best to remain positive and believe in my work.

Apart from creating, what do you do?

Outside of photography, I enjoy baking sweet calorie laden confections for my family, boyfriend, coworkers, or anyone else who will eat them. I also love roaming bookstores alone for hours, and daydreaming/researching future travel destinations. Right now it’s all about some sort of California road trip! Or maybe the Caribbean… or Europe... a girl can dream, right?


What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I know more about coffee than anyone should know. I became a coffee master at Starbucks when I worked there during graphic design school, I have toured a coffee farm in Kauai, gave a PowerPoint presentation about coffee in college, lead a coffee tasting seminar, and have tasted dozens of varieties. Ironically, I actually prefer tea! Earl Grey. Hot. Straight up. Or maybe a milky spicy chai. ^_^


Find me:
Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jpgphotography
Blog: http://jpgphotography.typepad.com/blog/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jpgphotography.etsy
Twitter: http://twitter.com/_jpgphotography

Select Prints Available at Gallery & Shop: The Rustic Sparrow
128 E. Grand Ave, Escondido, CA 92025
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rustic-Sparrow/250280608317335

20% entire purchase in my store, use the code: JPGPHOTOGRAPHY
Expires Oct. 31, 2011
SHARE 1 comment

Add your comment

© MyHobbyShop · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS