Interview with Scarableu @Etsy

in , , by MyHobbyShop, 8:00 AM


Tell us a little about yourself?
I was born and raised in the Montreal area (Quebec, Canada).

I have travelled a bit, but I am in love with my city and get my inspiration for its streets. I love to draw, love art but I do not work full time in this field...yet! My dream is to one day become a children's book illustrator. That is definitely my favorite kind of art.

Where does your inspiration come from?I am inspired by the everyday people that cross my path, other artists, picture book illustrations, insects and plants.

Who or what has been most influential in your art?
I think my childhood has inspired my art tremendously. To me it was a magical time. Plants had feelings and felt pain when you uprooted them, clouds bore secret messages, and you could keep a pet ladybug in an empty margarine jar and was convinced that with the right equipment, you could fly a little when you jump off a tree branch.



What does handmade mean to you?
The beauty in imperfect uniqueness. Every piece is different and has a soul.

When did you know you were an artist?
I have been quite insecure about using the term artist but I guess in the last few years, after studying graphic design and getting a few illustration contracts I started to let people call me that.

How would you describe your creative process?
I just wait to get that feeling, rising in my belly that says: Oh man, I really feel like drawing!! I grab my lead pencils and just any scrap of paper lying around and let the images flow through the tip. Then I either use coloured pencils to fill in the spaces or use Photoshop to color it in.

How do you get out of your creative ruts?
I just don't stress about it. Leave it alone for a while. Taking walks around an unknown part of town helps.

What made you decide to start selling on Etsy?
I started looking at other shops, other artists and thought; maybe I could do this to! I felt I had nothing to lose and a few years later I had enough material to start posting it up.



What makes your work “unique”?
I really think that my creatures humanoids or animal...oids? Have a special look about them. I like the look of the bigger head on a round belly and longish limbs, I like to bring out the beautiful side of textbook unattractiveness.

If you had to describe your art as a fruit, what fruit would you choose and why?
Ummm I guess I could go with wild strawberries. The little kind, the one that you find unexpectedly on the side of a road, because I think my art can be like a sweet little surprise that makes you smile for a while.

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and what would be served?
I would love to have dinner with Daniel Johnston (of the: hello how are you t-shirts.). We would sing his Casper the friendly ghost song and eat European hotdogs, the ones with the huge sausages, sauerkraut and fancy mustard.

Visit Scarableu:
Etsy Shop - http://www.etsy.com/shop/scarableu
Facebook - www.facebook.com/pages/Scarableu/140235972695333
Blog - www.lizzyzilloz.blogspot.com




SHARE 3 comments

Add your comment

  1. That art is really different... I'm off to take a peek at the shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and very interesting artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Work! Thanks for giving us a peak into this artists world.

    ReplyDelete

© MyHobbyShop · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS